Extensions and Amendments



If taxpayers are unable to file their federal individual tax returns by the due date, he or she may be able to qualify for an automatic six-month extension of time to file. The taxpayer can either electronically file or mail Form 4868 to the IRS to file for the extension. If the taxpayer has filed a return and realizes that a mistake was made, he or she would file an amended return by using Form 1040X.

 At the end of this course, the student will be able to do the following:

  • Understand when an amendment must be filed.
  • Realize when to use Form 4868.
  • Identify when the installment agreement should be used.

Field of Study: Federal Tax Law 1 Hour
Course Level: Intermediate
Prerequisite: General tax preparation knowledge is required
Delivery Method: Self-Study

IRS CE: 15G0B-T-00456-20-S
CTEC: 2080-CE-0169

Scroll to Top